ASL Lessons | Bookstore | Library | ASL University Main ►
American Sign Language: "sidewalk"
The sign for "sidewalk" is a version of the sign "STREET / WAY / PATH."
To sign "sidewalk," do the STREET sign off to the side and aimed just a bit downward.
Also see: STREET and HALL.
In a message "wheremyheartrests" writes:
Hello Dr. Vicars,
My name is Chad [name on file], and I contacted you before regarding the sign for sidewalk. I never did tell you the reason I asked for this sign. In my home-town we have a policy for no skateboarding on the sidewalk near the courthouse. If someone is caught skateboarding there by the local police they may be cited a fine. The signs are posted, but a few of them are not readily visible (sometimes I wonder if the town does this on purpose.) One of my deaf acquaintances is a skateboarder, as am I. I was trying to explain to him about the signs, but did not know how to sign sidewalk. But now I do, thanks to your great explanation!
Thank you, and Lord Bless,
- Chad [name on file].
* Want to help support ASL University? It's easy:
* Another way to help is to buy something from Dr. Bill's "Bookstore."
* Dr. Bill's new iPhone "Fingerspelling Practice" app is now available! CHECK IT OUT >
* Want even more ASL resources? Visit the "ASL Training Center!" (Subscription Extension of ASLU)
* Also check out Dr. Bill's channel: www.youtube.com/billvicars
You can learn American Sign Language (ASL) online at American Sign Language University ™
ASL resources by Lifeprint.com © Dr. William Vicars