back.gif (1674 bytes)



In a message dated 11/29/2006 10:37:40 AM Pacific Standard Time, burr0099@  writes:
Hi Bill,
I am a student at the University of Minnesota, currently in ASL 3. I  have the Random House Webster's ASL Dictionary, but I often rely on 
your site for current, cultural descriptions of signs. (The personal, anecdotal information is much more useful than a basic dictionary.) 
So, I was wondering if you could add signs for gay, lesbian, etc? (Or  are they already on the site somewhere and I'm just missing them?) Do 
you recommend using the initialized signs on the chin or is there something more up-to-date? You could also add signs for "partner" and 
other related signs.

Thanks for your help,
Amy Pagett
Hi Amy,
I can put those signs on my to do list.
It might be a while since the "to do" list is pretty long.
But at least they will be in the pipe for eventual inclusion.
I just do the initialized "GAY" / "LESBIAN" signs on the chin. Or if in an unknown group I'll spell G-A-Y.  For partner I do the "roommate" sign.
But what do I know?  I'm like the world's straightest geek.
The other day a tattooed motorcyclist showed me half a dozen signs for "gay" that he says are in use.  One of which was "tugging on the earlobe."  Heh.
I'll have to ask around to see if he was giving it to me straight, er, I mean, telling me accurate information.
Dr. Bill

In a message dated 11/29/2006 5:27:14 PM Pacific Standard Time, burr0099@ writes:
Hi Bill,
I've seen the "tugging on the earlobe" sign in James Woodward's book, Signs of Sexual Behavior, but it is quite old so I am never sure what is still in use.
Around here it is quite common to use "part" + the agent sign for "partner."


American Sign Language University ASL resources by Dr. William Vicars
back.gif (1674 bytes)