ASL Lessons | Bookstore | Library | ASL University Main ►
American Sign Language: "flash-the-lights"
Note: Flashing the lights is a method of quickly getting the attention of a whole group of people.
Getting attention this way should only be done by people familiar with the Deaf Culture. Newbies tend to overdo it. (Flash too many times, too quickly, etc.)
Open the hands, close the hands, and open them again. This is a way to tell someone to flash the overhead lighting off and on a couple times.
TEACHER LIGHTS-FLASH, WHY? (Why does the teacher flash the lights?)
The answer to this question is "So that the students will look up and pay attention."
Also see: LIGHT
* Want to help support ASL University? It's easy:
* Another way to help is to buy something from Dr. Bill's "Bookstore."
* Dr. Bill's new iPhone "Fingerspelling Practice" app is now available! CHECK IT OUT >
* Want even more ASL resources? Visit the "ASL Training Center!" (Subscription Extension of ASLU)
* Also check out Dr. Bill's channel: www.youtube.com/billvicars
You can learn American Sign Language (ASL) online at American Sign Language University ™
ASL resources by Lifeprint.com © Dr. William Vicars