ASL Lessons | Bookstore | Library | ASL University Main ►
American Sign Language: "Alcoholic"
Also see: "Alcohol"
Quite a few people just spell "A A" to mean alcoholic.
The general sign for alcoholic is to use an "A" hand. Pretend it is a bottle. Hold it up and move it down and toward your mouth as if you were going to take a drink but missed. Then change your hands into "flat hands" and show the "person ending."
Let's take a look at this sign frame by frame:
Question: Are there other ways to sign "alcoholic?"
Answer: Well, there are almost always other ways to sign anything. You might see this sign done with a "Y" handshape instead of the "A" handshape.
* Want to help support ASL University? It's easy:
* Another way to help is to buy something from Dr. Bill's "Bookstore."
* Dr. Bill's new iPhone "Fingerspelling Practice" app is now available! CHECK IT OUT >
* Want even more ASL resources? Visit the "ASL Training Center!" (Subscription Extension of ASLU)
* Also check out Dr. Bill's channel: www.youtube.com/billvicars
You can learn American Sign Language (ASL) online at American Sign Language University ™
ASL resources by Lifeprint.com © Dr. William Vicars